Are you unsure about which passport application form you may need? Do you know what form you need but do not know how to fill it out? It is important that you choose the right passport application form and complete it correctly so that you avoid unnecessary delays and problems in obtaining your travel document. Following is a list of passport application forms and a description of each.

U.S. Passport Form DS-11

When filling out the application, be sure to use black ink and print legibly. You must not sign the application until you have taken the oath that is to be administered by any authorized passport acceptance agent.

You must use the DS-11 form if you have never possessed a passport before or were under age 16 when you obtained your last one. Also, if you have a passport but it was issued more than 15 years ago, you need to use this form. Lastly, this is the application form you use if your passport was lost or stolen. In that case, you have to fill out form DS-64 as well.

U.S. Passport Form DS-82

This form has been updated as of February 2, 2008. This will include the renewal of your regular Passport and the new U.S. Passport Card. These will come to you in the mail.

This form can be file by any U.S. citizen who is seeking to renew his or her Passport or U.S. Passport Card by mail. You must meet certain criteria before you can used Form DS-82. You can also complete this form online using the Adobe Reader program.

Form DS-82 is available to be downloaded at your convenience. However, certain filing instructions may be missing. If it is not filled out correctly, your application may be denied. An immigration guide will contain all instructions and procedures and is available to be downloaded on your computer.

U.S. Passport Form DS-5504

This form has been updated as of February 2, 2008.

This form is usually filed by a citizen of the United States who is applying for data change in his or her U.S. Passport or Passport Card that is currently valid. Form DS-5504 requires that you make the changes within a year of the date that the passport was issued. One of the changes most frequently requested is a name change. This usually occurs through marriage and requires you send a certified copy of your marriage certificate to verify the change.

U.S. Passport Form DS-4085

This form may be filed by any U.S. citizen who may want to apply for more visa pages that are to be attached to his or her valid passport. This form can only be filed by a U.S. citizen passport holder that is now here in this country. Form DS-4085 additionally may be recognized as the Department of State Passport Form DS4085 or the immigration form DS-4085. Passport Services no longer issues 48-page passports but will add pages.